Purchasing used items on Craigslist has become a new norm with people in cities across the U.S. listing items they no longer have a need or room for. However not every deal on Craigslist can be trusted, for that reason we have a few tips for safety while making purchases on from Craigslist listings. This is how to stay safe on Craigslist!
Make Sure You:
- DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON—follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.
- NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or other wire service – anyone who asks you to do so is likely a scammer.
- FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON—BANKS WILL HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.
- CRAIGSLIST IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY TRANSACTION, and does not handle payments, provide escrow, “buyer protection” or “seller certification.”
- NEVER GIVE OUT FINANCIAL INFORMATION (bank account number, social security number, eBay/PayPal info, etc.).
- AVOID DEALS INVOLVING SHIPPING OR ESCROW SERVICES and know that ONLY A SCAMMER WILL “GUARANTEE” YOUR TRANSACTION.
- DO NOT RENT HOUSING OR PURCHASE GOODS SIGHT-UNSEEN—that amazing rental or cheap item may not exist.
- DO NOT SUBMIT TO CREDIT OR BACKGROUND CHECKS until you have met the job interviewer or landlord/agent in person.
Following these guidelines will ensure a safe, secure and reliable transaction when dealing with Craigslist. If you need any assistance or have any questions, give us a call to speak with one of our online tech support representatives here at My Computer Works. Or call us at 877-629-6972!